K-12 Lesson Plans to help incorporate SABA books into the classroom especially written for South Asia Book Award!
- Lesson Plan for Bombay Blues by Tanuja Desai Hidier. Lesson written by Rachel Heilman, High School teacher, TX.
- Lesson Plan for Kids of Kabul by Deborah Ellis. Lesson written by Rachel M. Heilman, High School teacher, NV.
- Lesson Plan for Twenty-two Cents by Paula Yoo. Lesson written by Victoria Longoria, High School teacher, TX.
- Lesson Plan for A Moment Comes by Jennifer Bradbury. Lesson written by Rachel Heilman, High School teacher, NV.
- Lesson Plan for In Andal’s House by Gloria Whelan. Lesson written by Pat Bliquez, Teacher-librarian, McDonald International School, Seattle.
- Lesson Plan for A Time to Dance by Padma Venkatraman
- Lesson Plan for Following My Paint Brush
- Lesson Plan for The Rumor
- Lesson Plan for The Wooden Sword
- Lesson Plan for Same, Same but Different
- Lesson Plan for Island’s End
- Lesson Plan for Chained
Recently added! Watch the music video for “Heptanesia”, from Tanuja Desai Hidier’s album of original songs based on Bombay Blues!
Recently added! Lesson Plan for A Time to Dance by Padma Venkatraman
- Travel behind the scenes of the making of Same, Same but Different by Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw
- Virtual Lesson Plan ; Island’s End Discussion Guide; Island’s End Lesson Plan Teacher Handout by Padma Venkatrakaman for Island’s End
- Activity Kit by Uma Krishnaswami for Grand Plan to Fix Everything
- Curriculum Guide created by Debbie Gonzales for Chained by Lynne Kelly
- Films to complement using Following my Paint Brush by Dulari Devi in your classroom are: Munni (‘little Girl’): Childhood and Art in Mithila (DVD, 30 minutes, 1981), and Mithila Painters: Five Village Artists from Madhubani, India (DVD, 40 minutes, 1994). There is free film guide for Mithila Painters.
- Check out multimedia resources for the 2013 award books by Teaching Books.net
- Learn more about author Elizabeth Suneby and illustrator Susan Verelst of Razia’s Ray of Hope One Girl’s Dream of an Education
- Read reviews of Jennifer Bradbury’s A Moment Comes at her website
- Karadi Tales Blog
- Writing with a broken tusk Blog by Uma Krishnaswami
- Cathy Ostleres Blog
- Kashmira Sheth.com Blue Jasmine Discussion Guide
- Padma’s Books TEACHER RESOURCES (by Padma Venkatraman)
- Gender Equality Bookstore – review of Sita’s Ramayana
- Tiny Tips for Library Fun – First Annual South Asia Book Award for Youth Announced! by Marge Loch-Wouters
SABA Award Bookmarks